Comprehensive Eye Exams in Garden City, NY
Why Are Regular Eye Exams So Important?
It doesn’t matter whether you see clearly and your eyes feel great – routine eye exams are still necessary! Regardless of age or physical health condition, eye care specialists recommend that everyone visit their eye doctor regularly for comprehensive eye exams. At Schoenbart Vision Care, we will check the eyes of all your family members, from children to seniors. Our friendly optometrists, Dr. Schoenbart and Dr. Handell, provide thorough eye exams as a part of our expert eye care services. Call to schedule an appointment in our modern Garden City, NY, office.
Reasons for Routine Eye Exams
Essentially, eye examinations check your ocular health in the same manner that a physical exam evaluates your general body health. Our eye doctors will inspect your whole eye structure and visual system, looking closely for any early signs of disease or abnormality.
Looking Out for Eye Disease
During the beginning stages of many common eye diseases, such as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy, you may not experience any symptoms of a problem. By the time you notice a change in your vision, the disease will have advanced to a later, more complex stage. Once that happens, treatment for eye disease becomes more challenging and less successful. Regular eye exams will detect eye disease way before you do, enabling our eye doctors to provide treatment as soon as possible!
Looking Out for Your Whole Health
Eye exams can also identify the presence of a life-threatening health condition before your physician diagnoses it. Optometrists can often detect the early impact of high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol on your inner eye tissues. Therefore, our Garden City, NY, eye exams will protect both your vision and your overall health!
Looking Out for Sharp Vision
Visual acuity testing comprises one step of our comprehensive eye exams. These procedures will determine your precise and up-to-date vision prescription.
With kids in particular, pediatric eye exams assess functional vision. An efficient visual system essential for learning, and an undetected vision condition (such as convergence insufficiency or lazy eye) can interfere with learning. Our gentle eye doctors are great with kids!
How to Prepare for Your Eye Exam
- Bring a list of any vision concerns or questions that you may have. Our Garden City optometrists will listen to you and provide full answers.
- Be ready to share info about your medical case history, family eye history and medications.
- If you wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, please bring your vision prescription.
- Bring a pair of sunglasses for your return trip home; if our eye doctor inserts dilating eye drops, your eyes will be hypersensitive to light.
What Happens During an Eye Exam in Garden City?
We customize comprehensive eye exams to match your individual requirements, depending upon your age, ocular condition, and general health. Here is a general breakdown of what to expect:
- Visual acuity testing: Our optometrist will first check your vision by having you read a standard eye chart of letters and numbers. 20/20 vision is defined as the norm, and values other than this may indicate a refractive error – such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism.
With the aid of a phoropter, you’ll need to look through a series of lenses and tell us which lens gives the clearest vision. To ensure that your vision prescription is detailed and accurate, we will also use a retinoscope to analyze how light bounces off your retina. These procedures can be done either manually or with automated devices.
- Eye Teaming and Accommodation (ability to focus): Your eyes need to work together for crisp vision, and we will evaluate binocularity.
- Slit Lamp exam: a slit lamp will be used to light up and magnify our view of the front of your eye. This enables a detailed inspection of your cornea, lens, and the back of your eye.
- Dilated eye exam: eye drops will be placed in your eyes. Your vision will be blurry and your eyes will be very sensitive to light. Once the eye drops take full effect (about 20 minutes), our eye doctor will use high-powered magnification to check your inner eye structures, including the retina and retinal blood vessels, optic nerve, and vitreous fluid.
- Tonometry: using a specialized device, we will measure the fluid inside your eye. Quick and painless, this procedure is done by either touching your eye gently, or by blowing a puff of air across the surface.
- Visual Field Testing: automated equipment enables us to assess your side vision. Poor peripheral vision can indicate certain ocular conditions that require attention from our eye care specialists.
- Supplementary testing: we may perform a variety of additional procedures, depending upon your individual needs and the judgment of our skilled eye doctor.
After all of the testing is completed, it’s time to talk! We will meet with you to share all of the results. If any eye treatment or vision correction is needed, we’ll determine the best solution for your visual expectations and lifestyle.
Our eye doctors are dedicated to giving you high-quality and compassionate eye care services. Call Schoenbart Vision Care to reserve a eye exam in our welcoming Garden City, NY, optometry clinic.